Thursday, March 6, 2008

Post-Foetus


Alright alright alright! Now that I've given your 'acoustic buds' something to snack on for a while, I've decided I'll be fair to the other side of the indie rock spectrum, and submit to you lovely readers a gentleman with a little more 'electronic advancement' to him. Today, I bestow upon you Will Wiesenfeld's Post-Foetus.

Will Wiesenfeld is to Post-Foetus, as Connor Oberst is to Bright Eyes or Marc Bianchi is to Her Space Holiday. One boy building music through keys and chords and wires in his room. Fortunately though, Post-Foetus delivers to us something that neither Oberst or Bianchi (or anyone for that matter) have delivered in a long long time. Post-Foetus strings his songs together with lyrics that most would consider unconventional and taboo. It really reminds this reviewer of a modern day Sting in the sense that he too wrote about subjects that many have felt but don't want to admit, let along sing about. Things like being attracted and intrigued by a child you're babysitting as can be interpreted in Post-Foetus' Weirdo. Or the story of a young wolf cub being initiated into a new pact, then later being raped by its leader, as is witnessed in the epic twenty or so minute long Half Lids (which can be seen being performed by Wiesenfeld and Orchestra below). But before we continue, as always: here's a link to the Post-Foetus myspace so you can listen for yourself.


Left to say is: He's just an exceptional conveyor of music. Honestly, I think he's been writing and making music longer than I've been listening to it. I can't even count the number of LPs and EPs he has under his belt, (I believe it's somewhere in the double digits if we count unreleased and side projects) and he's only 18 years old! But what's wonderful, is that I am now introducing him to you just as he has come out with a new EP dubbed: The 1st Will Wiesenfeld EP, that I honestly consider is some of his best work to date. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if it's available in a physical format yet and you would have to get in contact with Mr. Wiesenfeld to get a hold of it, but he's a nice guy and I'm sure you should have no problem.

I'm not sure if there are any upcoming Post Fetus shows at present. I'm sure he's busy with his side project (which I'll talk to you all about next week) but that he'll also continue coming out with new Post-Foetus, because frankly, you just can't turn some machines off. If you'd like any more information on Post-Foetus, look at their website, it's pretty impressive and user friendly. Please enjoy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thanks for the introduction to this music. I will definitely check it out! Sue

John Eightclip said...

Yah, i'm into this. I am prepared to allow you to be a "gatekeeper" for me. My contribution, one of my favorite musicians from here in San Francisco. They release music on Saddle Creek records, so its technically still indie. They are getting pretty big though. Two Gallants.

Mike O said...

I wish I had it together to make it to some of these shows. You have good taste and communicate the vitality of the scene in a way that makes me feel like I'm missing some startling grooves.

Jesse C. said...

Your reviews are very interesting. The links you choose add a lot to the content of the blog, and they allow the reader a much better understanding of the music you are talking about. I was glad that his myspace account had Weirdo on it, so that I could hear what you were talking about. But I was disappointed that the wolf song wasn't immediately available. However I still think that you did a great job of really conveying the artist in an objective way, to allow your readers to make up their own minds. To continue the great tradition of people passing on music to other people, here is my contribution to you. Check out Radio Moscow, they are a nice mix of some delta blues and good dirty solid rock. Check out "Time Bomb" on their myspace player. Their first album was produced by Dan Aurbach of The Black Keys who will be at the Warfield April 2nd.

Amanda Mac said...

I always like seeing who you have picked to write about. Your page looks really good. So when will we be hearing about your band? You should check out this site I think you would like it. The Bay Bridged

JiratuX said...

So I would like to know... where do you find your artists? I don't listen to the radio so it is hard for me to find new music.

P.S. I find this band that you have reviewed interesting/ uber weird.