Thursday, February 7, 2008

L.A. Concrete

I guess this is the part where I say hello and explain why and for what purpose this blog has been created. So... Hello! and welcome to L.A. Concrete.

It is on this day that I, Reid Goldin, have decided that I am going to man up, take charge and zip up my pants, and start the internet's 362,800,764th music review blog. But frankly, who the f**k am I to start a music review blog with intentions of anyone reading it, let alone taking it seriously? Well, let me tell you a little bit about myself, and then what I intend to do with this here blog.

I was born in Los Angeles and have resided there until only about half a year ago when I moved up to the Bay Area. But while in Los Angeles I did my best to follow into it's music underbelly, taking in shows of many of the local bands, a lot of which sounded like they weren't so much a part of the underbelly as they were excrements dropped from the belly itself. I took such an interest in music that I decided to make some myself and I, with the help of some friends, formed a rock band (as pretty much everybody does at one point or another) and I entered into the music scene in a big way. See? That's us up there! It was only later that I moved on to reviewing music. I took a 'per gratis' job reviewing concerts and CDs for the weekly Los Angeles newspaper Campus Circle, taking in and talking about bands ranging from The Blood Brothers to The Album Leaf. So there, that's me in a musical nutshell. If it helps you trust my review more, great! I'm glad. Either way, I'm glad you got this far into the blog. I didn't realize I'd be writing a novel. Anyway...

L.A. Concrete... Let's start with the 'why'. I'm sad to say that I had to live through the dust bowl year of music. 2007 I think easily racks up as being one of the most disappointing years for the independent rock music scene. A year where in exchange for bands like Paul Baribeau and Beirut (check them out if you don't know them already) we had to sacrifice so much. All the greats just began producing and releasing such shit. Modest Mouse's We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank, The Decemberists' Crane Wife (made me want to eat my own ears off), Bright Eyes' less than desirable Cassadaga, and even the Blood Brothers who, not only released their less than desired Young Machetes, but broke up during the terrible 2007 music holocaust. I'm just saying that in a year where the biggest billboard chart topper is f**king High School Musical 2, something has gone George Bushly wrong. Anyway, this terrible year, and my love for music and all of you innocents, has led me to begin L.A. Concrete.

L.A. Concrete is a music review blog devoted to bring you some of the secret gems of music based in and around Los Angeles. These are the bands that helped give me hope during that terrible terrible year and I'd like to now share them with you. I'd rather not plug my own band, and I apologize if it gets in there at one point, but as I said, I went head first into the scene and so I got my hands into everyone (no...not like that). Anyway, I shall begin running through my catalog post-haste and shall have a new and lovely piece of music to start you on your way in 2008--may it bring us hope and comfort us as we send off all the indie forefathers lost in that terrible, terrible year.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an awesome blog. I can't wait to read more! sue

lorena zuluaga said...

I think is pretty brave of you to pursue the music-reviewing topic after what Professor Drennan mentioned in class. It was cool the way you mentioned how many blogs of the same kind exist. I think that puts you over the edge by telling your reader that you know what you are getting your self into. I liked the tone you used for your blog. It is conversational, funny but yet well written. I also think it is cool that you put a picture of your own band; you should use your blog as a venue for your band. I would like to see more pics and some of your band’s videos. You sound like you know what you are talking about when it comes to the independent rock music scene but for those who don’t know anything about it here is a link to one of the bands that you passionately seem to hate, Modest Mouse’s, so that people can make their own opinion about them.
Modest Mouse

Jesse C. said...

Looking forward to your first review. Well written, clear and concise, hoping for some good recommendations.

Josh Muller said...

First off, I like how it says there are ideologies instead of posts. Secondly, awesome, awesome blog. I like the style you use and you gave a little background for credebility. I also have a background in underground music as you so correctly put, everyone starts a band. so I can appreciate what you are trying to do. It's just a kick ass blog. That's really all I can say.

Mike O said...

I like Beirut's site and sound, but would probably pay more attention to stuff dealing with the local scene. Like your enthusiasm.

John Eightclip said...

I think that you could get something pretty interesting going here. I look forward to the first "underground" Los Angeles band to make it into the blog. I disagree with your accusation that 2007 was a horrible year for music. However, I also don't listen to Modest Mouse, or Blood Brothers. I do however, look forward to reading posts about bands in Los Angeles that you grew up listening to, and that are less well known. I can read reviews for Modest Mouse in Rolling Stone. I really want to read and hear music that you really think is captivating and that we possibly haven't had a chance to listen to yet. I think your writing style is good though. I look forward to a more in depth Los Angeles underground music scene explanation in your creative writing style. I'm interested in more.

Jesse C. said...

yo, these are some cool interviews that I found where artists give their take on each song from their new album. Interesting insight.